Why this post? Because if your machine suddenly made a loud POP! noise and started smoking you may be thinking your machine is useless. WAIT!!… it’s possible you just have a blown capacitor and could easily fix it YOURSELF!
All I needed to repair my machine was a soldering gun, solder and wire snips (and new capacitors of course). Avoid paying a repair shop for expensive labor!
After buying a Bernina machine and bringing it home I was surprised to have it “blow up” on me after 3 minutes of being plugged in. Upon opening the back cover I was glad to see it wasn’t a fire that started inside, and I was especially glad to see that the motor hadn’t been harmed. One of the capacitors had blown and the one just below it was cracked and bulging .
I’ve read that it’s common for the older Bernina machines (models 1000, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1008, 1010 and 1015) to have issues with capacitors – if this is the case with your machine I have hope for you!
I found a repair kit on eBay with the 2 capacitors (and a resistor which I didn’t use) – it came from the UK so I had to wait anxiously for almost 2 weeks.
The original capacitors are on the top row and the new ones just below. I trimmed the connection leads to the same size as the originals before installing.
I used my soldering iron to carefully heat up the solder on the back of the board where the capacitors were attached – I held onto the capacitors from the other side to pull out as soon as the solder was fluid.
The first one is off. You can see the other original one here that is cracked.
After less than 60 seconds I had both off…
…and another 60 seconds the new ones soldered on! I used solder with flux… the same kind I use in my Singer re-wiring kits.
It’s a beautiful machine that looks hardly used – I’m so glad I was able to fix it!
I hope this post helps someone out there!