Follow me:

Claw Foot Sewing Cabinet Makeover

I fell in love when I saw this 1952 sewing cabinet for sale.  I bought it knowing it needed some TLC.  It took me 4 days of lots of work and I’m happy it’s done!  I wish the gray stain would have turned out more gray than purple but I’m overall very happy.

 I took everything apart and sanded EVERY surface.  It sure is nice to see the old brittle clear coat and marks and scuffs sanded away to see the bare wood.
 Everything sanded, now needs to be dusted!
A piece of wood was broken so I cut a new one.  My plywood was thicker so I had to sand down one edge to fit into it’s groove in the cabinet.
 I pre-treated the wood with conditioner for even staining.
 I used Minwax Gray stain.  It was SO hard to decide what color to do!  I kind of wish I would have done a dark brown instead of gray.
 Despite using the wood conditioner the top pieces stained blotchy so I put 2 coats of Sherwin Williams creme color over these pieces.  It turned out better in the end to have some contrast to the whole cabinet.
I also painted the knobs to tie the top in to the rest of the cabinet.
I spray painted the little cabinet and small drawers.
Then I distressed all the creme surfaces to give them an aged look.
I brushed a clear coat on all the wood pieces.  I don’t know why but brushing this Polycrylic over the cream top pieces (on the Sherwin Williams paint) turned the clear coat a dark/old color like it pulled the gray stain up from under the paint.  I wasn’t very happy with that especially because it doesn’t match the lighter creme drawers on the inside but it will have to do.
 Then I cleaned and primed all the metal hardware.  I really debated whether to keep the original look of the hardware but after priming and seeing how good it was going to look I’m glad I did!
I used a hammered black spray paint and did several coats.
I took the old cover off of the stool and spray painted the bottom of the wood and cut out new foam and batting.  The old padding was interesting because it had hair weaved through it.
Next I stapled some creme burlap and clear vinyl to the seat.

Then came the assembly.  I’m so happy I was able to get all the hardware back on the cabinet without any problems!  There were so many different screws and pieces!






All set up and in action:
Previous Post Next Post

- More Favorite Posts -


  • Reply Sharon Quinn


    September 29, 2013 at 9:15 pm
  • Reply Britt-Marie

    You do amazing work, but I have to admit it hurts me when I see you pain the wood. I love to see natural wood grain. Still I would love to have that sewing table.

    September 29, 2013 at 11:20 pm
  • Reply Tami Timothy

    Love, love, love the cupboard/ table and the cute shaped stool! Nice job on the finishing. Definitely a keeper with all the cool cubbies.

    September 30, 2013 at 9:48 am
  • Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.